Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Lennon's kid





















All along I thought Lennon only had one kid, Sean [right], whose mother is Yoko Ono n who was five when his father died. But while watching an interview there's another kid from a first wife, Cynthia. His name is John Charles Julian Lennon [left], also known as Julian Lennon.

What many people didn't know is there were a few Beatle songs written for/inspired by him. 

"Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds"

Julian inspired the title of one of his father's most famous songs whose lyrics described a picture Julian drew; a watercolour painting of a girl [a classmate named Lucy] surrounded by stars.

"Hey Jude"

Paul McCartney was inspired with 'Hey Jude' when Julian's parents divorced. It was meant to be 'Hey Jules' but McCartney changed it to Jude cos it sounded better.

Paul: What happened with "Hey Jude" was I was driving out to see Cynthia and Julian and they - Cyn and John - had just been separated and they were still friends you know. You know people involved in divorces - both sides are still your friends, you can't go siding with just one. So...  I went out just to see Cyn and to see how she was, to see how things were. I was just driving out one day. It was a lovely day. And I find in the car for me - that's a good time to kind of get ideas and stuff, I think it is for a lot of people. So I was just going out there and was singing "Hey Jules" - (sings "Hey Jules") - I got this idea - (sings "Don't make it bad") - you know the situation - (sings "take a sad song and make it better") and - Eventually I thought "Jules" didn't sound quit right and "Jude" just stuck, a little break on it.  It just sounded better in the lyrics. So I substituted that word. But I didn't actually go up to Julian and - "Hey you know I wrote this for you" - I don't do that. But that was really the basic idea that kicked it off.

"Good Night"

A track from The Beatle's White Album, although sung by Ringo Starr, is a lullaby written by John Lennon for Julian.


THE BEATLES_lucy in the sky with diamonds


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Jude is one of my favourite Beatles songs! I dont like paul mac cartney, he kill the beatles!
he hated yoko ono invlovement, and he is the 1st to call the quits, then the other follow suit. Anyway the 'working class hero' song by the beatles is on repeat mode in my ipod.

NAT said...

Yay i love Hey Jude too! hmm didn't know that about paul.. i like him for other reasons gegegege