Thursday, August 7, 2008

Them good 'ol English sayings

When I was 14, I thought English proverbs and idioms were only phrases I could use to help me ace my English Language exams. And I did with proper usage of it in my compositions. 

Now, I depend on them almost everyday to keep me in the righter path and the righter state of mind. Of course not blindly, but if there's logic to it there's no harm in believing in it. Especially if it makes you feel better after a difficult situation. 

What I like about it is there are so many different sayings that cater to different situations. It feels like every saying has a special purpose depending on how people view it and use it. But what's fun about it is when you're in a certain situation, and somebody says a saying thats very closely-related to the situation they are/have been/going to be in, then suddenly the group feels this great uplift of enlightenment. And I think that's the magic of proverbs, that moment of enlightenment.

So I thought I'd share some here once in a while and hopefully help others get through their day as well. 

(note: the proverb meanings may not exactly agree with your prior knowledge and what you know it to be, but the ones here are based on a tiny bit research, prior knowledge, my thoughts, and a tinier bit of logic)

Proverbs of the day:

Each day brings its own bread
Try not to worry so much about the future

[perhaps it also suggests enjoying the company of that 'bread' while you have it cos when a different day comes, its a whole different one]

After a storm comes a calm
Things cannot stay in turmoil forever, calmer times will always follow


Have a good day ahead. 


No comments: